Welcome to another instalment of Outside Inspiration!
How gorgeous is this photo? I love the juxtaposition of nature and the beautifully man-made elements.
What does it teach us?
- Stonework is breathtaking.
- Texture is key.
- Unexpected greenery softens hard surfaces.
The practical application...
This space has so much going on in the texture/pattern department, but it doesn't feel distracting. It feels cohesive.
The top 3 takeaways?
- If you're lucky enough to have exposed stonework, relish it. If you're not, you can introduce it through the use of natural stone floor tiles, modern stone wall cladding, or even a stone sculpture.
- Making every surface a tactile experience adds boat-loads of interest. Go crazy with texture in your rug, sofa, fabrics, pillows, wall & floor treatments, but keep it from overwhelming by maintaining a calming colour palette.
- Having a rough surface (like these bricks) in your space adds a grittiness that I love, but it often needs to be softened in order to feel comfortable and inviting. A few flowers in a vase or potted plants add a hit of greenery (the worlds most under-used neutral) and life to the space.